It all began in 2008 with a bored girl wanting someone to hang out and have lunch. As it turned out, there were about 20 others just like me looking for something to do in Las Vegas while our sweethearts attended VMworld 2008. Fast-forward 9 years, and we are back in Vegas for VMworld and what is now known as Spousetivities with a line-up of activities that is sure to please!
This year, all of the tours will depart from and return to Mandalay Bay. Whether this is your first trip to Las Vegas or you’ve been there a dozen times, there’s sure to be an activity or two you haven’t tried. So what activities are planned, you ask?
We’ll start the week with a new twist on a old favorite. The Spousetivities “Getting to Know You” breakfast is well-known, but this year we’re doing it in a whole new way. We’ll still have the fun and excitement of prizes, recognition of sponsors, and the opportunity to meet others participating in the activities. What you’ll also get a cooking demo from Food Network’s “Chopped” Season 9 winner, Chef Phillip Dell. Come for the prizes, but you’ll definitely want to stay for the food!
In addition to the breakfast, we’ve got a great collection of other activities to fill your week:
- Walking Tour – This is a simple walking tour along the famed Las Vegas Strip. Don’t worry, we’ll move at a relaxing pace so you can take in the uniqueness of the hotels and their gardens, art, and even aquariums.
- Grand Canyon Tour – This is for both the newbies and the seasoned Vegas attendees. The Grand Canyon is a sight to behold more than once so join this incredible day of adventure to see one of the most beautiful natural features in the world.
- Hoover Dam Tour – While those going to the Grand Canyon will get a glimpse of the Dam, this tour is a longer trip focused mostly on visiting the Dam and seeing this amazing feat of engineering. The new overpass is a sight to be seen, and you’ll get to take some incredible photos from there as well. If time permits, a gentle cruise along Lake Mead will complete this fantastic day.
- Fletcher Canyon Hike – With so much of Vegas focused on being indoors in smoky casinos, here’s another opportunity to get outside and breathe some fresh air. This tour takes you out of the heat as well! Up over 7000 feet (or 2100 meters for our metric friends), the temperatures are much cooler than the city. This hike is between 2 and 4 miles and is rated an “easy” hike. The hike length varies because we are free to turn back at any point depending on the group’s needs. After this day on beautiful Mt. Charleston, lunch will be served at The Lodge.
- Death Valley/Valley of Fire – This one was planned and listed on the registration page; however, the castle we were scheduled to tour is currently undergoing renovations. Don’t worry, though! There will be a trip to this area, but the details are still being worked out. Rest assured, it will be incredible!
- More Cooking with Chef Dell – In case you didn’t get enough, or you are just looking for a great way to hone your cooking skills, there will be an actual cooking class with Phillip (see link above) later in the week. Chef will guide you through the process of making an incredible menu. This is a must for anyone looking for a fun way to spend the day out of the Vegas heat!
As always, these events could happen without the support of great sponsors. Please make sure to Tweet, tag on Facebook, and visit the booths of these incredible supporters of Spousetivities:
- Thanks to our Platinum Sponsor, VMware NSX!
- The Virtualization Practice (thanks for 6 years of support!)
- VMUG (thanks also for 6 years of support!)
- Veeam (a new sponsor this year, thanks!)
OK, there’s the scoop. Now that you’re excited, head on over to the registration page and get signed up. Seating is limited and the cooking class and Grand Canyon are already filling up. Don’t forget to register for the breakfast to get your free goodie bag, Spousetivities vShirt, and your ticket to be entered to win some cool prizes!